No two assisted living communities are alike. They might offer similar services or amenities, but their location, ambience, attention to detail, dining, staffing levels, and overall approach to healthy aging can vary widely. That’s why before touring assisted living communities in Beverly, Massachusetts, you should have in mind what you need to look for.
At The Herrick House, we want to help you get started by suggesting some questions to ask on your tour. You’ll want to add any others that come to mind, and be sure to have your list with you when you tour each community so you will be sure to see everything you need to see.
Touring assisted living: get the information you need
- What to look for: How the staff interacts with residents.
- What to ask: What is the resident-to-staff ratio? What is the turnover rate? Are staff members happy here? What kind of ongoing training do they receive? Do they assist with activities of daily living such as medication management, bathing and dressing, and other personal needs?
- What to look for: Clean, well-maintained grounds, pleasant entrance.
- What to ask: What is your policy for maintenance? How often is the landscaping attended to? Is regular housekeeping offered and how often? What about snow removal? What type of security is in place?
- What to look for: An energetic, lively atmosphere.
- What to ask: What kind of activities are offered? What about amenities? How well-attended are the activities? Can residents suggest activities? Are there special outings to local points of interest? How do you encourage socialization? Are pets allowed? May family members join in activities with their loved ones?
Download your free copy of our Family Decision Toolkit.
- What to look for: Well-designed floor plans.
- What to ask: What is included in each residence? Can residents decorate their residence with personal mementos and furnishings? Are safety features included in each residence? Is there a wait list? In addition to housekeeping, is personal laundry included?
- What to look for: An emphasis on quality care.
- What to ask: What levels of care are offered? Are staff available 24/7? Is there also care for memory loss? Is care offered on an all-inclusive basis? What is the reputation of the assisted living and memory care?
- What to look for: A location close to medical services and other conveniences.
- What to ask: What are the advantages of this location? Is there convenient access to a hospital, therapy and rehabilitation facilities, or other medical services? Are residents close to parks, shopping, dining, entertainment and other conveniences?
Touring assisted living communities: don’t forget to take a moment to see how it feels
If you are touring assisted living communities over several days, be sure to always stop for a moment, take a deep breath, and just take in the atmosphere. Does it feel warm? Or frenzied? Are people smiling? Or do they seem preoccupied?
Also, be sure to stop and speak with residents, as well as resident family members. Ask them about their experiences, and if there are things they wish they had asked when they first toured. At The Herrick House, we encourage our visitors to speak with families, staff and residents.
The North Shore’s most trusted and referred to assisted living community; The Herrick House is nestled in a beautiful and private wooded setting on the upper campus of Beverly Hospital. Within a short distance of The Herrick House, you can find a wide variety of both casual and fine dining restaurants, pharmacies, theaters, galleries, and stores. The Herrick House is also located close to beautiful parks, scenic trails, and picturesque beaches. We welcome your questions—we’re very proud of our community!
Maintain your independence, enjoy privacy, and have peace of mind. Download your free copy of our Family Decision Toolkit. Contact us to learn more about The Herrick House or to schedule a tour.