When we feel safe and secure in our environment, we feel good, we relax and we greet each day with confidence. It’s especially important for older adults to feel this way about where they live. But Assisted living safety is more than having access to wide hallways or accessible bathrooms. At The Herrick House, we think it’s creating an atmosphere where residents can enjoy an enhanced quality of life.
The Difference Assisted Living Safety Can Make
If you’re considering Assisted living in Beverly, Massachusetts, you want to choose a community that feels right for you or for a loved one. A lifestyle that is warm, welcoming and supportive; where residents can mingle, relax, be inspired, explore new adventures and feel secure knowing everything is designed for their safety and comfort.
You’ll find this attention to Assisted living safety and a lot more at The Herrick House. Here are a few examples of how our community can give you, and your loved one, peace of mind:
- Emergency assistance around the clock. It’s a lonely feeling to be living at home when the electricity goes out at midnight, the roof starts leaking, or another emergency strikes and there’s no one you can easily reach. In an Assisted living community, there’s always someone on duty in case of an emergency, night or day. It’s a key component of Assisted living safety and very reassuring for everyone in the family.
- Continuous health monitoring helps protect health. Small changes in health might go unnoticed if no one is there every day to observe. At The Herrick House, residents are under the watchful eye of trained staff who can quickly pick up signs that something might not be right and can assist the resident as needed. Knowing you are surrounded by a professional staff that knows what to do offers great peace of mind.
- Reduced likelihood of falls and other home-related injuries. Nobody likes the idea of an older adult getting on a rickety ladder to change a light bulb, or crawl through an attic to locate holiday decorations. Being at home alone brings with it increased likelihood of injuries, especially falls, which can have a serious negative effect on a person’s health. In fact, the CDC reports that each year, about three million older adults are treated in emergency departments for a fall injury. And one out of every five falls causes an injury, such as broken bone or head injury.
Instead, choosing a carefree, maintenance-free lifestyle in an Assisted living greatly reduces the likelihood of falls and injuries because all home maintenance is done for you. No more repairs, no more ladders, no more slippery stairs.
- Scheduled transportation gets you there safely. Driving can be challenging for a person of any age, especially when it’s dark, snow is falling, or it’s hard to see where you are going. One of the most popular benefits of Assisted living safety is how scheduled transportation eases the worry of getting to a physician’s appointment, going to the market for groceries, or attending an evening event. Let someone else do the driving—you can just sit back and relax.
- Protection from scams or unwanted solicitors at the door. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who know how to prey on seniors, whether it’s a fake vacation offer, impersonating a grandchild on the phone in need of money, or claiming to need account numbers. Not to mention knocking on the door of a house and pulling a repair scam.
At The Herrick House, residents have the reassurance that no unknown person will be knocking on their door; visitors must check in with the concierge so there are no surprises. What’s more, if a scam artist contacts a resident by phone or online, that resident can call upon a staff member to review the request and help them make the right decision. It’s what Assisted living safety is all about: taking away the worries of everyday life so that each person can truly enjoy an enhanced quality of life.
- The health benefits of socializing and feeling part of a community. According to the American Public Health Association, socializing improves mood, cognition, memory recall and is associated with healthy behaviors, including exercise. But you probably don’t need a dictionary to tell you how good it can feel to have a friend close by for companionship, fun, inspiration and sometimes for solace. Assisted living in Beverly, Massachusetts, is the perfect antidote to loneliness and isolation, which research has linked to increased risk of disease, depression, and even early death.
Assisted living in Beverly, Massachusetts, offers you multiple options for the right lifestyle. We invite you to learn more about the North Shore’s most trusted and referred to Assisted living community, The Herrick House.
If the time has come for you to seek a greater degree of safety, personal care assistance, and social interaction for yourself or a loved one, we invite you to explore how we can help. Contact us to learn more and to schedule your tour.